[Job posted on 20th august 2015 by Amazon (Ivona) on Linguist List]
University or Organization: Amazon (Ivona)
Job Location: Pomorskie, Poland
Web Address: http://www.ivona.com/
Job Title: Computational Linguist (European French)
Job Rank: Other; TTS Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): French (fra)
French Computational linguist
Ivona, an Amazon company, is the company building TTS voices used in a variety of Amazon devices (e.g. Amazon Echo, Kindles, etc.). Join our elite team of linguists and developers to create the next generation French voice.
As a Computational Linguist you will work alongside Software Developers who are subject matter experts in speech synthesis and related fields. You are expected to have solid knowledge of computational linguistics as well as knowledge of phonetics/phonology. You will be working on a variety of tasks to improve natural language processing of TTS (text-to-speech). You will actively collaborate with Software Developers with linguistic expertise throughout the whole language and voice building process at Ivona/Amazon.
Project duration: 9-18 months, with the strong possibility of turning the position into a permanent one.
The tasks include:
– Normalizing textual resources through regular expressions.
– Creating natural language test cases for natural language processing modules.
– Labeling text with semantic, syntactic and morphological features
– Annotating lexicon entries according to guidelines.
– Producing / validating phonetic transcriptions for French.
– QA of TTS voices and linguistic data.
– Native speaker of French.
– Degree in Computational Linguistics, Linguistics (best with a focus on phonology).
– Solid knowledge of regular expressions.
– Solid knowledge of phonetics and phonology.
– Knowledge of command line tools under Unix.
– Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python).
– Familiarity with software version control tools (e.g. Git).
– Ability to create / fix phonetic transcriptions for French.
– Solid communication skills.
– Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology and language technology.
– Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment.
– Comfort with multiple computing platforms (Unix, Mac, Windows), and in particular ability to use the command line interface.
Application Deadline: 30-Sep-2015 (Open until filled)