[Job posted on august 5th 2015 by Appen on Linguist List]
University or Organization: Appen
Job Location: , USA (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://www.appen.com/
Job Title: Linguist – Hausa or Pashto
Job Rank: Linguist; Other
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Hausa (hau)
Linguist – Hausa or Pashto
Work Location: Global: both Pashto and Hausa are remote positions.
Appen is a language technology solutions and consulting firm, recognized as a global leader in the quality, range and caliber of its expertise. We are focused on helping our clients reach international markets by leveraging our expertise in over 150 languages and dialects. Our clients are among the world’s top internet search engine and voice recognition providers. For more information come see us at http://www.appen.com/.
– Start immediately and ongoing for the next 20 weeks.
– Reliable internet connection required.
– The successful candidate will work from home.
The work will involve assisting in the creation of the Lexicon component of a Speech Database (SDB) in Hausa, as spoken in Nigeria and Pashto as spoken in Afghanistan. A Lexicon is an electronic pronunciation dictionary (in text format) consisting of phonetic representations of all words transcribed from audio files in a SDB. The lexicons also include syllable boundaries and stress or tone mark-up. They also usually include variant pronunciations, dialectal or regional variation and can include additional labelling indicating ‘foreign word’, ‘Proper Name’, ‘acronym’, ‘homonym’, etc.
For Hausa: The work will also involve creating documents to describe the language for the purpose of language technology development and assisting with resolution of any spelling standardisation or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in Appen processes will be provided.
For Pashto: The work will also involve assisting with resolution of any spelling standardisation or dialectal variation issues in the language. The majority of the linguist’s time will be adding vowelisations (diacritics/harakat) on Pashto words, and spent checking and correcting transcriptions of words in phonetic script. Training in ABH processes will be provided.
– Must have, or be currently taking, a university degree in Linguistics.
– Must have a background in linguistics and a familiarity with the language, at the level of a fluent native speaker. The candidate should be a linguist or have completed part of their linguistics training. Specific linguistic background should be geared towards phonetics and phonology, and as such the candidate should be familiar with the IPA and possibly other phonetic scripts like X-SAMPA.
– Must be able to co-ordinate over Skype or similar for training.
– Good typing and computer skills essential
– Must pass the Hausa/Pashto spelling/qualification test
– Must pass the Hausa/Pashto SAMPA/lexicon test.
– Must be able to understand and follow detailed instructions written in English.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Good time management skills
– Availability of minimum 20 hours per week
Application Deadline: 01-Sep-2015 (Open until filled)