[Job posted on july 2nd 2015 by DFKI GmbH on Linguist List]
Researcher in Language
University or Organization: DFKI GmbH
Department: Language Technology
Job Location: Berlin, Germany
Web Address: http://www.dfki.de/lt
Job Title: Researcher in Language Technology
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Translation
The Language Technology Lab of the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI LT-Lab) offers a position in Berlin, Germany, as Researcher in language technology, primarily in the area deep processing with a focus on parsing. Application areas range from machine translation to information extraction.
We are looking for people who enjoy working in an innovative and enthusiastic research team, love challenges and are passionate about research and development. We offer an excellent working environment with a variety of research projects. The successful applicant will work in a multi-disciplinary and international team in one of the world’s foremost research centers in AI and NLP. DFKI Berlin is located in the center of the dynamic, livable and affordable capital of Germany.
The candidates should have a masters degree or PhD in computational linguistics, computer science or related disciplines.
Expertise and experience in more than one of the following areas is expected:
– Deep and shallow grammars
– Combination of deep and shallow methods
– Machine translation
Experience in one or more of these areas is a plus:
– Machine learning
– Language data (corpora, dictionaries, thesauri)
– Computational semantics
– Mathematical background (probability & statistics)
– NLP of German
Expected are programming skills:
– Experience with programming in Java and/or C++
– Experience with scripting languages Python/Pearl
– A good grasp of algorithms and software architectures
Expected general skills:
– Good communication and teamwork skills
– Excellent problem-solving skills
– High degree of motivation
– Able to manage own workload and meet deadlines
– Good organizational skills
– Good standard of written and spoken English
– Good standard of written and spoken German is helpful
Pay and Duration
Successful candidates will be offered a competitive salary based on their qualifications and experience.
The initial contract will be for a duration of 2–3 years.
How to Apply
Please send your electronic application (preferably in PDF format) to Prof. Hans Uszkoreit and Dr. Aljoscha Burchardt (application emails below respectively) referring to job opening No. 40-15/HU. A meaningful application should include a cover letter, a recent CV, and a brief summary of professional interests, and contact information for three references.
Preference is given to applications received by July 31, 2015.
Application Deadline: 31-Oct-2015 (Open until filled)