[Job posted on 19h november 2014 by Syapse on Semantic Web]
Semantic Server Engineer
|Mid Career (2+ years of experience)|
We are looking for an experienced back end developer to join us in building out our server-side semantic data stack. At Syapse, semantic technologies (RDF, SPARQL, OWL) are our foundation for organizing and integrating biomedical, genomics, and clinical data. Building this foundation out involves a mix of applying innovative technologies, and building an industrial strength, scalable back end. You will be joining a team that includes some semantic technology veterans, but has plenty of room for fresh thinking and design. You will be working with a mix of open-source and proprietary software to construct the back end for our data platform and application suite. Areas of emphasis range from customization of expressive ontologies and queries, to federation across data sources, to integration with large-scale structured data. Come help us upend data medical data management; we can do this better!
- Build out any of a number of server-side components involved in data representation and storage, search, and data integration.
- Contribute to the design and interfaces that integrate these components with our suite of web applications.
- Join us in evolving the architecture of the back-end services, meeting challenges such as scalability, performance, availability, and data security.
- A degree in CS or related field is required; advanced degree a plus.
- At least five years experience working on the back end of scalable web applications. Domains such as search, data integration, or highly scalable data systems are all good experience.
- Ability to work with Python (our server-side language of choice) and Java (language of most relevant open-source components).
- Experience with semantic data tools a plus, e.g. RDF store, SPARQL endpoint
- Ability to work independently, collaborate closely, and bring other engineers up to speed on your work rapidly and thoroughly.