[Job posted on September 18th 2014 by Nuance Communications on Linguist List]
University or Organization: Nuance Communications BVBA
Job Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
Web Address: www.Nuance.com
Job Title: Linguist/Phonetician – Speech Data Validation
Job Rank: Linguist/Phonetician – Speech Data Validation
Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Phonology
Required Language(s): English (eng)
– Major duties and responsibilities: assisting in the speech data validation effort for the development of UK English TTS voices.
– General reporting structure: The contractor will be a member of a data validation team working on the above named projects and reporting to Mihaela Calacean (supervised by Mario DeBock).
– Location: Merelbeke, Belgium
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
– Perform phonetic validation of speech data i.e. listen to voice recordings and check if orthography, phonetic transcriptions and prosodic labels are correct and match the audio signals.
– Perform segmentation validation i.e. check if phoneme boundaries are well aligned to the audio signal.
– Perform synthesis evaluation i.e. listen and evaluate synthesis generated with Female/Male UK English text-to-speech voices.
– Participate in the effort of tuning the TTS voices.
– Testing the product release.
– Education: Candidates need to have studied English at an advanced (university) level (e.g. germanisten, vertalers, tolken).
– Number of Years of Work Experience: N/A
– Native or near-native proficiency in English
– Thorough understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts
– Very good listening skills
– Strong computer skills in a Windows environment and greater than average comfort with software
– Strong sense of precision and quality in the daily job
– Ability to work independently as well as in a team
– Good problem solving, analytic and troubleshooting skills
– Experience with correcting phonetic transcriptions for speech technology
– Familiarity with development of language assets of text-to-speech technologies
Application Deadline: 15-Oct-2014 (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://jobs.nuance.com/