[Job posted on September 11 2014 by Elsevier on list LN]
Natural Language Processing
Do you have extensive machine learning experience combined with software
development skills? This might be your next challenge!
In line with the Elsevier corporate strategy of greater content volume,
types and sophistication, the services that Elsevier provides are
becoming increasingly dependent on Smart Content. We are looking for a
NLP Expert with a focus on Machine Learning and Statistical NLP
techniques to strengthen our Content Enrichment team in executing that
As a NLP Expert you will be working with our business units on
developing our content and information offering to end customers. These
services may rely on existing text and data mining processes that need
application and maintenance, or require improvement in that area based
on new industry developments (for example in the area of machine
learning). You also will be working in Elsevier Operations with a varied
group and cross-functional team of IT and product colleagues to pilot
and develop new methods of extracting and surfacing information relevant
to our customers for new product development. When successful, the NLP
Expert will support the implementation of industry-scale high-quality
Both a publisher and information solutions provider, Elsevier is looking
for someone that is able to work on information from internal and
external sources and using different (or no) data standards. Our search
solutions depend heavily on concept indexing or annotation (for example
using ontologies in the medical domain), relationship extraction (for
example in disease pathways) or extracting data from images and
tables. The ideal candidate will have industry experience solving
language-related problems (entity extraction, word-sense disambiguation,
information clustering) using statistical methods on vast quantities of
data – and apply that experience to all of the above areas.
You will be part of a growing team based in Amsterdam, reporting to the
Head of Content Enrichment.
Text and data mining
– You will bring active experience into the organization on extraction
text and data information from structured and unstructured
data. Applying and developing on these techniques you will drive the
implementation of automated indexing and annotation processes. Also
well-versed in machine learning, you will bring new processes into the
organization in order to improve (in cost and time-efficiency) the
data excerption processes that Elsevier is engaged with. This process
will also include the application of Elsevier’s taxonomy and ontology
assets to a wide variety of content – as well as drive developments in
the application of and expansion on these vocabularies.
Data analytics to support businesses and products
– You will analyze extracted information to drive such processes as
automated and manual data cleansing. Data analytics can also be used
to identify research trends, or drive decision for our content
acquisition strategy. Using visualizations tools to present the
extracted data to be ready for consumption will be another key
Contribute to the content strategy
– You will actively contribute to product and operational content
strategies by identifying and ingesting new technical capabilities to
forward Elsevier mission of leading the way in advancing science,
technology and medicine. Using the available base data, you will
actively promote new ideas of using this data to enhance our
Serve as internal and external specialist on data extraction and NLP
– You will serve as the NLP expert for Content and Innovation as well as
across other teams in Elsevier. You will be a trusted resource in new
development projects in Elsevier. You will also be able to act as a
liaison between IT developers and (content) subject matters experts,
translating information needs into software development. A senior
member of the team, the NLP expert will coach junior members or
outside vendors on a need basis.
What you should bring
– University graduate (Master of PhD level) computer science,
computational linguistics or an associated area.
– At least 5 years’ experience working in Natural Language Processing
(NLP); especially in entity extraction, word-sense disambiguation,
information clustering and data mining.
– Proven experience with text normalization and processing, writing NLP,
Parsers, and Spell checkers.
– Software development experience in C/C++.
– Familiarity with agile software development.
– Scripting abilities in PHP/Lua and Perl/Python/Java.
– Writing SQL queries, and experience using *nix systems, open source
software and libraries.
– Experience with internationalization, validation techniques, and using
statistical techniques in decision making.
– Ability to write design specifications, unit tests, maintaining
documentation and perform code reviews.
– Knowing how to improve efficiency of existing code, always considering
– Familiarity with taxonomy applications across scientific and
healthcare disciplines is a plus.
– Experience working with a variety of stakeholders at the mid and
senior management level.
– Ability to drive new developments and implement process changes and
disruptive technologies in the organization.
– Good communication and documentations skills with the ability to
convey complex technical concepts to non-technical professionals.
– Fluent in English
What we offer
We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment
with great opportunities to develop yourself. Elsevier’s benefits are
very competitive and the summary below will give you an idea of the kind
of things you can expect when joining Elsevier in the Netherlands.
– Competitive salary and a 13th month
– 27 days of leave
– Attractive collective health care insurance package with considerable
– Solid Pension Plan of which 70% of the premiums is paid by Elsevier
– Profit share or bonus plan subject to the company annual results
– You can participate in the convertible personnel bond loan scheme
– Flexible working arrangements
– Travel allowance for commuting between home and work
– Reductions to several personal insurance packages due to our
– Additional benefits, like memberships of Elsevier’s magazines,
discount on books and in-house sport facilities
– Numerous training, coaching and e-learning modules for long term job
opportunities and development
– Several local and global networking communities to share best
practices and knowledge
Interested candidates can send their CV and
motivation letter to Pamela Ostendorf, “email@example.com“