[Jobs posted on April 18th 2014 by Xaxis Germany GmbH on Linguist List]
University or Organization: Xaxis Germany GmbH
Department: CARD – Computational Advertising Research and Development
Job Location: Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
Web Address: http://www.xaxis.com
Job Title: Linguistic Editor
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Semantics; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Czech (ces)
Development of Language Support for a Web Page Classification System
Xaxis is the world’s largest programmatic media and technology platform. To enable targeting of advertisements on web pages to particular audiences, Xaxis develops and maintains software that analyses the language content of web pages. In particular, for each web site in a supported language we determine a classification of its topic or topics and an assessment as to whether certain potentially disturbing language or content is present.
To organize the results we use a taxonomy of topics. The project requires you to learn and understand what exactly the taxonomy is for and how it works. You will then go on to create an own language version of the various applications that the semantics team provides.
Reference tools used are our original English database, the internet, dictionaries and thesaurus tools. Using these reference tools you will initially input words into a dashboard specifically designed for this purpose. Each word is selected as characteristic of one or more topics and its relevance to each topic is further balanced by supplying weight factors. Having created a data set in this way you then test and further balance the work looking at a large number of web pages.
The editor reports directly to the semantic team leader who in turn gives close mentoring and support.
– Native knowledge of Czech, Polish, Spanish or Turkish
– Linguistic knowledge, in particular a broad vocabulary
– Self-governance and discipline
– Interest in a wide range of topics
– Familiarity with recent language development and cultural situation in the home country
– Bachelor degree in linguistics or a similar language-related subject or equivalent skills
– Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English
– Willingness to explore all parts of the language; tolerance towards all topics on the web – the job may involve exposure to some extremely explicit and violent imagery and language
– Ability to work independently with directions given remotely
– Committed to quality, attentive to detail
The work can be done either during an internship, for instance by a student as part of a master’s program. Alternatively, it can be done as a (part-time) freelance work. The latter especially applies for ongoing maintenance work of the solution once the initial word lists have been compiled. Czech, Polish and Turkish must be fully created from scratch, whereas Spanish only requires the ongoing maintenance work.
Basic information for an internship:
Duration: 4-7 month
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Basic information for a freelancer:
Location: Home office
For details, please contact Dr. Christoph Lingenfelder, Executive Vice President Engineering, at the address below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
Xaxis Germany GmbH
Email Address for Applications: email@example.com
Dr. Christoph Lingenfelder
Phone: +49 (0) 721 132 493 – 10