[Jobs posted on March 28th 2014 by Appen on LinguistList]
University or Organization: Appen Inc.
Job Location: Washington, USA
Web Address: http://www.appen.com/
Job Title: Linguist – Indonesian or Tagalog
Job Rank: Consultant
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Required Language(s): Indonesian (ind)
Appen is a language technology solutions and consulting firm, recognized as a global leader in the quality, range and caliber of its expertise. We are focused on helping our clients reach international markets by leveraging our expertise in over 150 languages and dialects. Our clients are among the world’s top internet search engine and voice recognition providers. For more information come see us at the URL above.
Language Module Development (POS tagging, Morphology, Syntax, Named Entities)
Appen is seeking linguists who are native speakers in either Indonesian or Tagalog to help develop and enhance the language modules for our client’s NLP technologies. Successful candidates have a background in Linguistics with emphasis on morphology and syntax. Previous experience with annotation projects is a plus.
Location: Remote, Global
Hours: Average time commitment will be approximately 15-25 hours per week, but can vary by project.
Length: Will start from the beginning of April 2014 and will continue for about 3-5 months with possibility of extension.
Main responsibilities include corpus creation and data annotation in aid of various kinds of NLP components, which may include: Lexicon development, Part of Speech tagging, Noun Phrase and/or Named Entity recognition, Morphological analyzer.
– At least B.A. degree or higher in Linguistics, or related field
– Native or near-native knowledge of at least one these languages: Indonesian, Tagalog
– Excellent written communication skills in English
– Background in morphology and syntax
– Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
– Strong computer skills and greater than average comfort with software and technology are expected.
– You will be required to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement at the time of contract negotiation.
– We offer a competitive, hourly pay rate DOE (to be paid as 1099 self-employment income).
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Web Address for Applications: http://erec.appen.com:8000/sap/bc/erecruiting/posting_apply?param=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9MDA1MDU2ODA3Qjk5MUVEM0FEQTRCMjUzQjNCQUZGMzkmY2FuZF90eXBlPQ%3d%3d&sap-client=300