[Jobs posted on march 11th 2014 by Nuance]
NLP Engineers for Italian and for
Development of language resources for NLU, to be used in projects for Automotive customers. Includes among others grammar engineering, data creation, training & testing statistical models, systematic processing optimization.
The NLU Applications Research unit develops language resources, tools, and end-to-end system solutions for multi-modal natural dialogue applications on mobile devices. NLU Applications Research balances a drive for innovation in reusable state-of-the-art solutions, with development for large-scale customer projects.
The unit is actively looking for an NLU Engineer to expand our Italian team, in the NLU Language Teams:
- Development of language resources for NLU is a language engineering task, focusing on building semantic representations (for dialogue) from transcribed spoken input (from ASR)
- This includes among others grammar engineering, creating test- and training data for grammar evaluation and training machine learning-based models, and systematic processing optimization.
- An NLU Engineer works as a member of a specific Language Team, focuses on the development of resources for a single language, and cooperates with one or more customer projects to address project-specific requirements regarding language resource coverage and performance.
The engineer thus plays a key role in Nuance’s overall effort to make intelligent systems: The engineer helps building a bridge between recognized sequences of words, and something meaningful which a dialogue engine can act upon.
The opening for the Italian language teams is located at the Nuance office in Aachen, Germany.
Number of Years of Work Experience:
- Minimal: Masters in Computational Linguistics or Computer Science (or equivalent), or Bachelors with minimum of 2 years industry experience Preferred: PhD or MSc in Computational Linguistics or Computer Science, plus 2-4 years of relevant experience
- Native speaker of Italian.
- Computational linguistics background, preferably with experience in NL grammar development, semantic representations, robust NLP (statistical, probabilistic, shallow), machine learning, corpora, annotation
- Keen interest in transforming R&D insights into practical customer applications
- Strong algorithmic and software skills, preferably with experience in Unix, Windows
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, able to place solutions in a larger system context
- Accomplished coder with ability to realize R&D insights
- Team-player, able to take initiative as well as follow a plan and work collaborative in a (possibly distributed) development team (typically about 4-6 people)
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Computational Linguistics
We offer a competitive compensation package; including stock options, employee stock purchase plan, 401(k), full health and welfare benefits and a casual yet technically challenging work environment. Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our fast growing track of continuing success. Nuance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Nuance’s Mobility Division builds innovative, intelligent and intuitive touch and speech interfaces to simplify and enhance the way people interact with mobile devices, applications, and services. Nuance Mobile solutions make mobile devices and in-car systems easier to use, automate customer self-service, and optimize the access and discovery of even the most advanced mobile applications and content – regardless of technical know-how, location, environment, or physical and literacy capabilities.