[Jobs posted on march 9th by Systran on linguistlist]
University or Organization: SYSTRAN Software,Inc.
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.systransoft.com/systran/jobs/
Job Title: Farsi Linguist for Machine Translation
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Required Language(s): Dari (prs)
SYSTRAN is currently seeking a Farsi Linguist to join our R&D team in San Diego to develop Farsi-to-English machine translation systems.
Linguists at SYSTRAN analyze sentence structure in source (Farsi) and target (English) languages to correct and extend rule-based translation, and also provide syntactic and semantic information about words and phrases. They have a native speaker’s intuition about language use and are able to articulate it, making them valuable contributors on projects to improve Machine Translation systems. They often collaborate with computational linguists who are not native speakers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
– Encode foreign language terminology according to specific conventions
– Analyze and correct dictionary errors
– Use internal SYSTRAN tools that allow rapid capture of linguistic judgements about words and phrases
– Compile data from foreign language text for determining the correct function and/or meaning of terms
– Test and document the results of periodic MT dictionary upgrades
– Assist other Linguistics Department personnel in a variety of research tasks
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
Minimum of two years in a college or university or at least one year of work in an academic environment (e.g., college library, science lab, etc.).
– Excellent academic knowledge of and literacy in the standard dialect of a designated foreign language and at least a general knowledge of linguistics.
– Ability to identify the part of speech of a word or phrase in context
– Understanding of the inflection patterns (morphology) of the designated foreign language
– Good command of English
– Ability to translate words and phrases from the source language to English
– Current contact with native language, including a familiarity with new terminology and new idioms
– General computer literacy
– Familiarity with a spreadsheet program, similar to Excel
– Ability to pack, move, and unpack computer files through email and across distributed linux computers
– Ability to follow step-by-step processes involving scripts on the linux command line
– Ability to make minor modifications to scripts as needed
– Ability to create and modify regular expressions is a plus
Other Skills and Abilities
– Ability to organize work in order to meet schedules
– Ability to follow instructions and cooperate in a team effort
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: email@example.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.systransoft.com/contact/others/careers/
Director, Software Engineering John Dimm