[Offre diffusée sur la liste LN le 3 décembre 2013 par Google]
University or Organization: Google, Inc.
Department: NLU-Machine Intelligence
Job Location: Tokyo, Japan
Job Title: Analytical Linguist for NLU in Machine Intelligence
Job Rank: Analytical Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics; Syntax; Natural Language Processing
Required Language(s): Japanese (jpn)
Understanding natural language is at the core of Google’s technologies. The Natural Language Understanding (NLU) team in Google Research guides, builds, and innovates methodologies around semantic analysis and representation, syntactic parsing and realization, morphology and lexicon development. Our work directly impacts Conversational Search in Google Now, the Knowledge Graph, and Google Translate, as well as other Machine Intelligence research.
As an Analytical Linguist, you will collaborate with Researchers and Engineers in NLU/Machine Intelligence to achieve high quality data that improves our ability to understand and generate natural language systems. To this end, you will also be managing a team of junior linguists and vendors to derive linguistic databases as well as propose direction for approaches to language specific problems.
– Work closely with Researchers and Engineers by providing linguistic expertise and direction for language specific NLP projects
– Create annotation guidelines and instructions for vendors and junior linguists
– Recruit, hire and train linguistic experts for short term, high impact projects
– Manage and oversee a team of junior linguists, vendors and/or remote workers
– Design quality control methodology, experiments, implementation and improvements
– Train and evaluate NLP systems for small projects and propose solutions
– Analyze data pipeline and annotator workflow, scheduling to optimize productivity and quality control; establish and track key performance metrics across the team
– Monitor data acquisition and curation
– Ph.D in Linguistics, or Computational Linguistics, with experience in core areas such as semantics, syntax, morphology, and phonology, as well as applied areas in NLP and/or lexicography
– Native-level fluency in Japanese and professional-level fluency in English
– Experience collaborating internationally with multiple partners on long term and complex projects
– Experience managing people and developing projects or curricula from concept to completion
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to travel internationally on a quarterly basis
– 2+ years experience in NLP research or related fields
– Familiarity with experimental design, research methodologies, qualitative and quantitative analysis
– Multilingual speaker with knowledge of semantics, syntax, grammar, morphology, and lexicon development for several language families
– Demonstrated operations and people management with experience in vendor management and remote people management
– Independent worker with the ability to effectively operate with flexibility in a fast paced, constantly evolving team environment. Team player with exceptional interpersonal and solution-oriented attitude.
– Creative thinker with strong problem solving and analytical skills
– Proficiency with scripting languages, web development, and working in a Linux environment
For immediate consideration, please email your CV and cover letter in English (PDF format preferred) with “Analytical Linguistic Project Manager [Japanese]” in the subject line to the application email address below.
Application Deadline: ASAP, open until filled
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)